Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Laki Sa Lola


“Hola” she said on facebook. My grandmother, Amah, is 73 years old and it’s been years since she was last here in the Philippines.

One of my fondest memory of her is that time when I just got home, she was smiling on her rocking chair and holding a celphone. I knew it was for me :) but to not ruin the surprise, I acted dumb.

ME: “WOW. Amah ang ganda niyan” pointing to the 6110 Nokia phone on her hand ( although 61-10's along with other early models of antenna phones have phased out already :) )

The gesture was priceless. Amah’s excitement was all over her face…WHY would anybody ever want to ruin the moment? :)

Amah: (in chinese) Indeed!! Look! it even has many HIGH-TECH features!.”

Amah: Ko-u Alarm Clock! Ko-u Calculator! (It even has an alarm clock function! and a calculator function!) :)

I gave a wow to every feature she boasted to me, even though I knew these things were only...regular features :)

I smiled: “Amah.. Eh.. Kanino ba yan?”

She grinned like a happy teenager and said “Bwe Ho Di Ah (bought it for you...)”

I took it. :) I used that phone with pride :) until it was time again to surprise me with a 3210 which came in a multi-colored hologram smiley casing, multi-colored keypads and backlight. :D

“Si Amah talaga..” :) <3

~While things lose their value over time, sentiments don’t.

Long Live, Wall-E. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment