Thursday, August 27, 2009

YAMAN SA SOBRE

I was on a jeepney ride home for lunch. I was still somewhere along Q.C when this man placed an enveloped on my lap. I didn’t look at him; I said God is consistent today. :) I took a twenty peso-bill and gave it to him (and that’s when I looked at him) and asked nicely If I could keep the envelope. He didn’t seem to mind. I wanted to take a photo of it and post it on my blog. And so here it is:
I wondered how old he was, and if he was doing this part-time, full-time, just now or ever since. I thought he could get a job instead of being a beggar like this. I shouldn’t have given him money but then I thought how many businesses hire beggars from the street? Businesses want background, want requirements, and want employees with a permanent address at least. How many job opening welcomes homeless people and beggars? I should give this guy a break. Life is tough enough for people like him. I know every one on the jeep was thinking he was some lazy bum that’s why they didn’t give him any money; I know I did think that too, I just thought he needed a break except a while later I learned that maybe yes, next time I should hold back.
Not a few minutes after, another envelope fell on my lap, handed by a boy no more than 5 years old. I opened my wallet and thought maybe I should just give him coins, but felt that I shouldn’t give him less just because he was younger.So I did the same thing; I gave him the money and asked if I could keep the envelope. He didn’t answer, he just looked at me and then I smiled and folded it into my bag. MY MISTAKE. Now his mother was sitting by the entrance of the jeepney ride watching what happened. I made the words out carefully since I was all the way inside the jeepney and she was sitting by the entrance, tapping cans she turned into musical drums. As I was about to alight,She demanded “AKIN NA ANG SOBRE!!!” Stunned I smiled and said “ bawal hingiin?”to which she again demanded “AKIN NA ANG SOBRE!!!” (Baka mangkumpitensya pa kasi ata ako?)
Hahaha. Now at least I got to experience a different kind of reaction right? (“,) ~masyado na ata kasi akong komportable~

No comments:

Post a Comment