Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rain, Children, Noodles and You


Yesterday was kind of shitty. I stayed home today. I'm a mess. I stayed home and watched 'Wedding Daze' and thought i should catch some lost sleep. Studies say that when you aren't getting enough needed sleep, it makes you well in some cases, any of the following or all of the following: cranky, sensitive, emotional, crazy. I don't know which one to pick but I'm crossing my fingers its not all of the following.

Anyways, aside from that I think I may have done some good even so. Hopefully.

It was raining yesterday. My group mates and I sort of braved the rain and feasted on street food (isaw, etc). My uniform was getting wet despite of the efforts of a borrowed umbrella. My skin was starting to feel cold. And then I noticed these two kids right beside the isaw-vendor. They were selling noodles. Kids selling noodles in the rain. The other day, i told myself that someday I want to help make the world a better place every day. And i started thinking, why not. Why not start that day? Yeah. Maybe I'm not Mother Theresa. Yeah. Maybe I'm not capable of donating millions, not capable of making this big tidal wave over these children's lives for example, but I knew what I can do. At least.

I walked over and asked how much is an order of noodles. This kid said 17 pesos, so I said I'll order one and paid for it. When he was about to give me my order,I said he can keep it. I just ordered, I said. I don't know, he seemed confused. (",) I thought about what he could be thinking: "did this lady stole a plastic of noodles from us earlier when we were'nt looking and now she's paying for it?" I don't know. I didn't mind. I wanted to do it, that's all.

I am not saying this here so that I could claim to the world that I have a golden heart, that I did a good deed. Let's scrap that. I am no better than anybody in this planet. A good deed is a category or a label you want to name what you did, and I would rather want to think, what I did was pure and simple 'help', we can consider that a label for doing something else for someone regardless of yourself. I am not sure I said that right but i hope you got the point. I just dont want anybody who could be reading this to focus on the wrong details.

Golden heart. I dont have that( I am not trying to be humble, believe me, we don't need golden hearts to help once in a while) . 17 pesos is not a big deal. Anyone could have done that and that is just the point. Any of us could do it, if we just take the time. I think these kids earned it. While some of us maybe quick to think that these kids are being ran by syndicates, or being pushed to work by their lazy parents, for all we know, they could just really have no choice but we won't understand that deep since we are not in their shoes. When I was a kid, I played in the rain. These children are working in the rain.

Whether or not we stop by to care, all the things around them will change their lives forever. I want to do what I can given the moment. I think Any of us can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment