Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Wrong Move and The Right Pocket.



God. He heard me alright.(",) Today he sent one kid and one very old desperate guy holding a zerox copy of what looked like an outdated doctor's prescription note begging for whatever amount.


I was still feeling down. I just got off from taking a 30-minute quiz at school and as we were passing by a fast food drive-thru and we were shouting our orders at the radio box. A boy started playing with the box, whispering whatever to the box and confusing our orders. He caught my attention alright. I watched him playing with the box, wondering if this kid was just simply doing that to annoy or harass us or maybe he was simply playing. And maybe hearing a voice coming out of the box fascinated him. Who knows. I decided it could be a something in between both. I pulled a ten-peso coin and had Ryan gave it to him. I realized right after if maybe that wasn't such a good idea in that case, but it has been done. I wondered what he would do with the coin as he stared at it for a while. He didn't look like he would use it to buy cigarettes though or some rugby. I wished in my mind, he'd give it to his mom or just spend it on candy. I made a mistake. He didn't leave as well, he continued playing with the radio box.

I realized I could have given him an idea to beg. Maybe that could give him the wrong idea about playing with drive-thru radio boxes. I don't know. Anyways, I realized something else. Helping is not just about handing out something from my pocket.Maybe at that time I should have just said" Kid dont play with that, cars go by here and you could get hit or maybe get hurt " but I didn't, instead I gave him a ten-peso coin. I am a witch. I suck. I learned a lesson today. And maybe God told me something. Except for the witch and suck part, I am totally saying that to myself.

Then when we got home and got the car parked, Ryan opened his car door and immediately this old man holding this prescription drug photocopy asked us for some change. I didn't see his face as i was on the passenger's seat. I just saw his wrinkly hands, shabby clothes and the paper he was holding. I quickly asked myself. What would I do now? I told myself I'll do what I can. I have to give this old man the benefit of the doubt, that maybe the racket he was pulling was fake but the reasons he was doing it for wasn't. He needed help and I was there. I opened my coin purse and pulled out a twenty-peso bill. I thought about digging for coins but the coins for some reason, seemed stuck in the little corner of the purse and so I realized that maybe this was what I was supposed to give him. I don't have time to ask if my heart was willing. It didn't seem to be against it anyway. So I said, Give this to him, it's fate. or Destiny. Or Chance. That i just turned into fate. (",)

I don't know maybe I could all just be making this up. I'm no righteous person. I just realized that maybe fate doesn't just refer to what you become, what career you end up having, what kind of life you end up living or who you end up loving. Fate, Destiny, Chances are every moment of our lives, every small detail in it and every person we meet and every thing we do. This old guy is in mine. For that brief moment. I hope I did good by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment